DAY ONE: Colony Arrival on Mars
Astronauts land on Mars to set up new Colony:
- Supplies: Locate geo-cached supply crates using GPS.
- Energy: Wind and solar power energy workshop. Source Water supply.
- Cell Explorers: Soil sampling and testing for productivity.
Robotic Arm damaged during landing:
- Soldering: Repair of damaged robotic arm.
Communication with Control:
Mars Research Centre, Arizona: Dr Niamh Shaw gives webex advice on survival on Mars – direct from future habitat crew.
DAY TWO: Food & Propulsion
How and what will astronauts eat?
- Aquaponics: Growing plants without soil
- BBQ Insects: Where will the protein in astronauts’ diet come from?
Movement and getting around:
- Rocketry: Assembly and launch of individual rockets with Irish Rocketry
- Weightlessness: Test the effect of weightlessness and walking on uncertain surface matter to transfer materials and supplies from one base camp to another.
DAY THREE: Habitat & Transport
How will Astronauts build a Base Camp?
- 3-D Printing: Dr Aidan Cowley gives webex advice on Hive Colonies.
How will Astronauts cover distance and collect samples on Mars?
- Lunar Dune Buggy: Scavenger hunt to find parts and assemble a Space Camp Ireland’s own Lunar Dune Buggy.
DAY FOUR: Experiments, Exploration, Shelter and Astronomy
What experiments can be transported from Earth to Mars and what data needs to be collected?
- NanoRacks: Dr Nora Patten will lead a brainstorming session on what information would Earth need from Mars and how such a project would be carried out.
- Origami: Not just an art form – origami influences design and harnesses creativity and art in inventing and science, technology problem solving.
Sheltering from the elements
- Survival: Astronauts head into the wilderness and forage for materials to build a shelter and survive in the elements.
- Astronomy: Midlands Astronomers visit Survival Camp to research the night sky well into the night.
- ASTRONAUTS WILL SLEEP OVER IN THE SHELTER (or tent!)
DAY FIVE: Breakfast, Base Camp and Virtual Reality
Did astronauts and shelters survive the elements?
- Breakfast: Astronauts will breakfast and strike camp, heading back to Base Camp.
- Expedition Review: At Base Camp remaining tasks completed and review of week long training.
- VR Experience of Apollo II: TBC.